** I have been compensated for this post. All opinions and views are that solely of mine. **
Being a first time home buyer can be absolutely terrifying- heck even moving into my first apartment was scary enough. The random sounds at all times of day/night and not having a single clue what it is yet, the smells of your neighbors living their lives- whether it’s food cooking or dirty socks and shoes by a door, or simply getting familiarized with the neighborhood.
The entire experience can be overwhelming. Thankfully, I found it super helpful to have a list to help keep me organized! This little handy one of 5 things to do before you move into a new home will help you organize your life a bit more. Who else could use help with their forgetfulness?!! I hope you find these tips helpful so you get the chance to actually enjoy the ambiance and excitement of moving into your new home!
- Do A Deep Clean Of The House- Of course there’s many things to do before this step, but I put it first because it’s one of the most important to me! Being a germaphobe (except with my kids lol) I seriously cannot stand dirt, grime, or bacteria in my space. Many folks will leave the home clean for you. Even if they do, clean it again yourself. Hire a service, enlist the help of friends and family, just get it done.
Bleach will be your best friend!!! You will want to make sure to also have a pair of rubber gloves and plenty of buckets, brooms, mops, a vacuum, and other various surface cleaners. Remember- this is YOUR health you’re looking after.
- Change Your Address/Set Up Utilities- There is one simple change of address form that you fill out. You can do this by visiting your local post office and more conveniently now, you may do it online. Mail will be automatically redirected to the new address, but you should also definitely contact banks, credit card companies, insurance companies and other important institutions and inform them of the change of address! As far as utilities, setting them up ahead of time is paramount to success. You may have a deposit for them that you have to prepare for ahead of time. But honestly, do you really think you can get all that cleaning done without your electric and water turned on?! (LOL!)
- Paint Walls, Ceilings, Etc..- The sooner you start this, the more time you have for the paint to dry. Get to work! Personally, I like to take my time here. Attention to detail ensures that professional grade work has been put into it and I will not have to repaint for a long while!
Simply head to your local home improvement store, pick out your paint, don’t forget brushes, rollers, paint pan, stir stick, trimming tape, and grab a small container of spackle as well. If you have cracks, holes or other imperfections, prepping those surfaces can be chore and needs to be done before any painting. One of my favorite things to have is an accent wall! It’s such an amazing focal point in any room and has the ability of changing how large/small a room feels.
- Organize! Organize! Organize! I’m a HUGE fan of using color coordinating tote boxes for each room or simply writing each room name on the box when moving! Don’t knock it til you try it! Save yourself a ton of time with this step and then when moving in, simply throw those boxes in their respective room! Done! Also, you will want to organize the bathroom first, as well as your kitchen cabinets and pantry. Check out my fabulous ideas for this right here!
- Change The Locks!!- Let’s be honest here, the previous owners, realtors, maintenance, any of their family or friends are more than likely to have keys to your place. This will end today because after all, this is YOUR new home! As soon as closing is over, you can buy and install new door handles and deadbolts yourself. Thankfully for me, I have STL Locksmith LLC to help me with this process!
STL Locksmith LLC is a metro Atlanta area company that has been servicing folks like me in the area since 2012. They are available 24/7 to help with emergencies such as being locked out of your vehicle or perhaps a burglary at your home (God forbid)! Competitive prices, professional staff and techs, and they also offer a simple click to call option on their website. How convenient! Professional installation of locks on your new home is definitely the way to go!
I truly hope that you find these 5 things to do before you move into a new home a tad bit more beneficial and that they save you precious time doing unnecessary things!
Happy Moving Friends!!